You’ve been hearing more and more about content marketing for several good reasons:
- Advertising is becoming less effective both because there is more of it and people have the tools to filter it out
- People have become accustomed to an on-demand culture, so
- When they want information, they look it up and, therefore,
- In order to gain their attention, you must provide them valuable content when and where they want it.
1) Understanding: Know Your Target Audience(s)…Intimately
Have a very focused and very specific understanding of who your customers are beyond simple demographics. Do the research to understand
- Their psychographics,
- Their technographics,
- Their generation and,
- Their attitudes.
Understand them to the point that you can see the world through their eyes so you know what challenges they face and what they value. Empathize.
[Tweet “3 Things Every Medium-Sized Business Must Have For Content Marketing”]
2) Empathy: Create Content About Things That Interest Your Target Audience(s)
Doing the research to understand your audience(s) intimately will help you to understand what content they want, need and value. Create content about those issues as it relates to your company in order to draw them to you as a trusted source of information.
Promote your content on social to build awareness and trust with your potential customers with the ultimate goal of converting them into customers.
3) Build Relationships Through Email Newsletters
Create an email newsletter that delivers content that has been published on your blog or website. You can build audiences on social channels all day long and there are benefits to that but ultimately you’re just leasing that audience unless you get their email addresses.
Build on that relationship by continuing to provide value and you will maintain awareness to the point that when they’re ready to buy, they will think of you. And beyond that, they will be far more likely to refer you as well.