We have an annual tradition at Karwoski & Courage of descending en masse on the Minnesota State Fair on opening day as a team-building exercise…or just to have fun…or both.
We split up into teams and compete on a scavenger hunt, of sorts. The team with the most points wins.
- Heirs of the Fair
Brooke, David, Halli and Dan
- Silky J & The Sandwichmakers
Emily F., Glenn and Jordan (a.k.a. Silky J)
- Hungry Birds
Becca, Ken and Michael
- Do We Need a PO For This?
Vanessa, Sara and Meghan
- Minnesota Maidens
Coral, Kristin and Janine
- Each team will have a limited amount of time to complete a series of challenges.
- Teams are encouraged to go to whatever length necessary in order to complete the list.
- Each challenge must be verified with a photo or video via Twitter, Instagram or Facebook using #PRonastick and saved on any member’s phone or camera.
- Create a new food on a stick. Use any food or beverage available at the fair to create your new dish. Each team member must consume at least one bite and have photo proof. One of the food items must be new to the fair.
- Enjoy a cool beverage in the beer garden. Must show photo or video proof and include the entire team.
- Take a picture of someone with a mullet. Bonus points awarded if team member(s) are in the picture.
- Take team picture with a side show freak (ask Glenn if you don’t know what/who that is).
- Win a giant stuffed animal at the Midway.
- Go to the Midway and hop on one of the Fair’s new rides.
- Take a ride down the giant slide. Must include entire team and have photo/video proof.
- Try two new foods. Must be new to the entire team.
- Identify the worst “Made in MN” product.
- Animal Picture Challenge: Each team member must pose for a picture with a different species of live animal.
- Appear on-air on any T.V. or radio station broadcast (one team member).
- Sing on the karaoke stage. Bonus points awarded for a team duet. Video proof required.
- Take a selfie with a local news anchor. Multiple anchor selfies accepted and awarded bonus points.
- For all of the money in Glenn’s wallet, film a team member eating an entire bucket of Sweet Martha’s cookies, a bucket of French fries or a bucket of mini donuts.
New Food On A Stick
Heirs of the Fair tried the Belgian waffle on a stick…
…but kinda made a mess of it:
Well, that was easy enough:
Silky J & the Sandwichmakers spotted a mullethead:
As did the Minnesota Maidens…
Side Show Freak
State fairs don’t really have side show freaks anymore but we tried our mightiest to find some that might fit the bill.
The Minnesota Maidens think Ren Fest fans are a little freaky:
Hungry Birds found a pirate. Arrr!
New Fair Ride
Okay, define “new.” Minnesota Maidens Janine and Coral:
Vanessa and Meghan of Do We Need A PO For This? took flight as well:
Glenn and Silky J battled it out on the ground with David of team Heirs of the Fair in the bumper cars:
Ken captured the excitement of the Giant Slide for Hungry Birds:
And the Minnesota Maidens posed at the peak:
While David captured the You Are There point of view for team Heirs of the Fair:
Two New Foods
Heirs of the Fair tried Pretzel Curds:
Hungry Birds tried the strawberry scones from French Meadow Bakery:
Janine of Minnesota Maidens had the gelato:
Emily of Silky J & The Sandwichmakers tried the sweet corn ice cream:
Worst “Made In MN” Product
Hands-down, the worst Made in Minnesota Product was spotted by Silky J & the Sandwichmakers:
Do We Need A PO For That? animal collage:
Mike represents Hungry Birds by the sheep pen:
Coral visits the cows for the Minnesota Maidens:
Appear On Air
Minnesota Maiden Janine gets interviewed by the Fox 9 newsboy:
But alas!, she ended up on the cutting room floor, so to speak, usurped by rival team Heirs of the Fair:
With behind-the-scenes footage:
Glenn schmoozed his way onto KTWN for Silky J & the Sandwichmakers:
Here’s the actual broadcast audio:
Local News Anchor Selfie
Do We Need A PO For This? pose with Pat Evans:
…and Hungry Birds follow suit:
Halli & Brooke of Heirs of the Fair pose with Lee Valsvik:
Kristin represents Minnesota Maidens with Fox 9 Morning host Alix Kendall:
There doesn’t appear to be any definitive proof that anyone actually completed this challenge but we’re sure Ken gave it the old college try:
David and Dan took a ride on the Slingshot:
And the winners are….The Minnesota Maidens!
Success @ Creative PR
The mission of the Success @ Creative PR newsletter is to help you succeed in your communications career by giving you valuable tips, trends, tools, insights and inspiration that will help you throughout your career. But, as you can see, we also like to have fun and that attitude extends to our newsletter, as well! Click the button below to subscribe: